- CBC News - Why an HIV prevention drug isn't getting into the hands of those who need it most (CfE)
- News 1130 - Wednesday marks five years since B.C. declared overdose crisis a public health emergency – (Cheyenne Johnson, the Executive Director of the BC Centre for Substance Use)
- CityNews 1130 - Why are most people who develop blood clots after J&J or AstraZeneca vaccines women? (Dr. Tony Wan, St. Paul’s Hospital)
What's New: April 17
LATEST PHC NEWS
Important reminder: Provincial orders and guidelines remain in place for everyone, even if you have received the vaccine.
LATEST BC NEWS
To address rising COVID-19 case counts, protect people and communities and help break the chain of COVID-19 transmission, the provincial health officer is amending the provincial public health orders effective March 30, 2021. The new orders and guidelines are in effect until April 19, 2021 and can be found here.
For Friday, April 16: 1,005 new cases of COVID-19 were announced, for a total of 117,080 cases in British Columbia.
- Active cases: 10,081
- Currently hospitalized: 425
- Intensive care: 127
- There have been 6 new COVID-19 related deaths, for a total of 1,530 deaths in British Columbia.
New cases by health authority region:
- Northern Health – 51
- Interior Health – 110
- Island Health – 49
- Fraser Health – 536
- Vancouver Coastal – 259
- There are currently 5,739 cases of COVID-19 that are confirmed variants of concern in our province. Of the total cases, 212 are active and the remaining people have recovered. This includes 3,858 cases of the B.1.1.7 (U.K.) variant, 71 cases of the B.1.351 (South Africa) variant and 1,810 cases of the P.1 (Brazil) variant.
- 1,282,091 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca-SII COVID-19 vaccines have been administered, 87,970 of which are second doses.
- Vaccine data is available on the COVID-19 dashboard at: www.bccdc.ca
- Read Friday's joint statement on BC's COVID-19 response.
- Find previous joint statements here.
Please note: Numbers are updated on weekdays at 5 p.m.
|New Cases||Today's Total Cases||Cumulative Total|
|BC||Total||1,005||10,081||117,080 (105,291 recovered)|
(within the last 24 hours)
|*patients that are currently being cared for as COVID-positive|
If you need to reach PHC’s Infection Prevention and Control Team (IPAC), please call local 69357. Do not contact individual IPAC team members.