PHC News + COVID-19 Update: April 16, 2021
“It is easy to look for loopholes, but rather let’s look for how we can keep each other safe.
“We need to stay local and stay in our neighbourhoods. We need to stay outside and with our same close friends. So let’s all do our part this weekend so we can stop the spread and put COVID-19 behind us.”
Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, and Adrian Dix, Minister of Health
For Friday, April 16: 1,005 new cases of COVID-19 were announced, for a total of 117,080 cases in British Columbia.
- Active cases: 10,081
- Currently hospitalized: 425
- Intensive care: 127
- There have been 6 new COVID-19 related deaths, for a total of 1,530 deaths in British Columbia.
New cases by health authority region:
- Northern Health – 51
- Interior Health – 110
- Island Health – 49
- Fraser Health – 536
- Vancouver Coastal – 259
- There are currently 5,739 cases of COVID-19 that are confirmed variants of concern in our province. Of the total cases, 212 are active and the remaining people have recovered. This includes 3,858 cases of the B.1.1.7 (U.K.) variant, 71 cases of the B.1.351 (South Africa) variant and 1,810 cases of the P.1 (Brazil) variant.
- 1,282,091 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca-SII COVID-19 vaccines have been administered, 87,970 of which are second doses.
- Vaccine data is available on the COVID-19 dashboard at: www.bccdc.ca
Please note: Numbers are updated on weekdays at 5 p.m.
|New Cases||Today's Total Cases||Cumulative Total|
|BC||Total||1,000||9,353||120,040 (108,919 recovered)|
(within the last 24 hours)
|*patients that are currently being cared for as COVID-positive|
REMINDER: Please direct all media inquiries to Providence’s Communications & Public Relations team.
Ann Gibbon, Senior Communication Specialist, Media Relations
After-hours media line: 778-999-0064
Questions or Concerns?
If you have questions or concerns, please email COVIDfirstname.lastname@example.org
Information and resource links:
PHC has a website for staff, medical staff, and researchers to address concerns, questions, protocols and guidelines around sick-leave and compensation-in-lieu for COVID-19. Click here to view the website. This website will be updated daily and is accessible from work and home on your mobile or desktop devices. THIS SHOULD BE YOUR SOURCE OF TRUTH FOR INFORMATION.
If you need to reach PHC’s Infection Prevention and Control Team (IPAC), please call local 69357. Do not contact individual IPAC team members.