PHC News + COVID-19 Update: April 20, 2021
“We are taking steps to reduce this pressure and we need everyone in B.C. to do the same. Later this week, new orders will be in place to restrict vacation and recreational travel outside of your home health authority.”
Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, and Adrian Dix, Minister of Health
For Tuesday, April 20: 849 new cases of COVID-19 were announced, for a total of 120,889 cases in British Columbia.
- Active cases: 9,145
- Currently hospitalized: 456
- Intensive care: 148
- There has been one new COVID-19 related death, for a total of 1,539 deaths in British Columbia.
New cases by health authority region:
- Northern Health – 31
- Interior Health – 67
- Island Health – 29
- Fraser Health – 474
- Vancouver Coastal – 247
- There are currently 6,179 cases of COVID-19 that are confirmed variants of concern in our province. Of the total cases, 163 are active and the remaining people have recovered.
- In B.C., 1,414,644 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca-SII COVID-19 vaccines have been administered, 88,263 of which are second doses.
- Vaccine data is available on the COVID-19 dashboard at: www.bccdc.ca
- As a result of the current levels of transmission in B.C., the provincial health officer orders that were set to expire yesterday were be extended for a further five weeks, through to May 24, 2021, at midnight.
- Read Tuesday's joint statement on BC's COVID-19 response.
Please note: Numbers are updated on weekdays at 5 p.m.
|New Cases||Today's Total Cases||Cumulative Total|
|BC||Total||862||8,906||121,751 (111,039 recovered)|
(within the last 24 hours)
|*patients that are currently being cared for as COVID-positive|
REMINDER: Please direct all media inquiries to Providence’s Communications & Public Relations team.
Ann Gibbon, Senior Communication Specialist, Media Relations
After-hours media line: 778-999-0064
Questions or Concerns?
If you have questions or concerns, please email COVIDfirstname.lastname@example.org
Information and resource links:
PHC has a website for staff, medical staff, and researchers to address concerns, questions, protocols and guidelines around sick-leave and compensation-in-lieu for COVID-19. Click here to view the website. This website will be updated daily and is accessible from work and home on your mobile or desktop devices. THIS SHOULD BE YOUR SOURCE OF TRUTH FOR INFORMATION.
If you need to reach PHC’s Infection Prevention and Control Team (IPAC), please call local 69357. Do not contact individual IPAC team members.