PHC News + COVID-19 Update: April 9, 2021
“No matter what our age, or where we may be, our province is not yet protected from COVID-19. This is why we all need to follow all of the public health orders.”
Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, and Adrian Dix, Minister of Health
For Friday, April 9: 1,262 new cases of COVID-19 were announced, for a total of 109,540 cases in British Columbia.
- Active cases: 9,574
- Currently hospitalized: 332
- Intensive care: 102
- There have been 2 new COVID-19 related deaths, for a total of 1,495 deaths in British Columbia.
- 15,673 people under public health monitoring
New cases by health authority region:
- Northern Health – 79
- Interior Health – 132
- Island Health – 54
- Fraser Health – 638
- Vancouver Coastal – 358
- Today, over one million doses (1,025,019) of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca-SII COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in B.C., 87,606 of which are second doses.
- Vaccine data is available on the COVID-19 dashboard at: www.bccdc.ca
- The Get Vaccinated online vaccine registration and booking system for B.C.’s age-based immunization program is open for everyone to register and then later book their vaccine appointment when eligible. More than 305,000 people have registered so far.
- There are currently 4,111 cases of COVID-19 that are confirmed variants of concern in our province. Of the total cases, 105 are active and the remaining people have recovered.
- Read the April 8, 2021, PowerPoint presentation on variants.
- Read Friday's joint statement on BC's COVID-19 response.
Please note: Numbers are updated on weekdays at 5 p.m.
|New Cases||Today's Total Cases||Cumulative Total|
(within the last 24 hours)
|*patients that are currently being cared for as COVID-positive|
REMINDER: Please direct all media inquiries to Providence’s Communications & Public Relations team.
Ann Gibbon, Senior Communication Specialist, Media Relations
After-hours media line: 778-999-0064
Questions or Concerns?
If you have questions or concerns, please email COVIDemail@example.com
Information and resource links:
PHC has a website for staff, medical staff, and researchers to address concerns, questions, protocols and guidelines around sick-leave and compensation-in-lieu for COVID-19. Click here to view the website. This website will be updated daily and is accessible from work and home on your mobile or desktop devices. THIS SHOULD BE YOUR SOURCE OF TRUTH FOR INFORMATION.
If you need to reach PHC’s Infection Prevention and Control Team (IPAC), please call local 69357. Do not contact individual IPAC team members.