PHC News + COVID-19 Update: June 1, 2021
“The more people who are fully vaccinated, the less risk there is that the virus can spread in our communities, and the more quickly we’ll be able to confidently put the COVID-19 pandemic behind us. Let’s keep moving forward.”
Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, and Adrian Dix, Minister of Health
- For Tuesday, June 1: 184 new cases of COVID-19 were announced for a total of 144,473 cases in British Columbia.
- Active cases: 2,800
- Currently hospitalized: 254
- Intensive care: 80
- There have been 0 new COVID-19 related death, for a total of 1,703 deaths.
- New cases by health authority region:
- Northern Health – 2
- Interior Health – 19
- Island Health – 1
- Fraser Health – 113
- Vancouver Coastal – 48
- In B.C., 3,303,334 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines have been administered, 191,222 of which are second doses.
- This means 70.4% of all adults and 67% of those 12 and older have now received their first dose.
- Today, the National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) provided guidance on the interchangeability of COVID-19 vaccines for first and second doses. NACI confirmed the safety and effectiveness of interchanging vaccines and reaffirmed the recommendation to prioritize second doses for those at highest risk of severe illness and death.
- More specifically, NACI advises people who received a first dose of the AstraZeneca COVISHIELD vaccine may safely receive either the same vaccine or an mRNA vaccine for their second dose. Additionally, people who received a first dose of one type of mRNA vaccine may safely receive another mRNA vaccine for their second dose.
- Building on the plan for second doses of mRNA vaccines shared last week, this latest guidance will help inform the approach we take here in B.C. for those who received the AstraZeneca COVISHIELD vaccine. More information will be provided on this Thursday.
- Vaccine data is available on the COVID-19 dashboard at: www.bccdc.ca
- Read Tuesday's joint statement on BC's COVID-19 response.
Please note: Numbers are updated on weekdays at 5 p.m.
|New Cases||Today's Total Cases||Cumulative Total|
(within the last 24 hours)
|*patients that are currently being cared for as COVID-positive|
REMINDER: Please direct all media inquiries to Providence’s Communications & Public Affairs team.
Ann Gibbon, Senior Communication Specialist, Media Relations
After-hours media line: 778-999-0064
Questions or Concerns?
If you have questions or concerns, please email COVIDemail@example.com
Information and resource links:
PHC has a website for staff, medical staff, and researchers to address concerns, questions, protocols and guidelines around sick-leave and compensation-in-lieu for COVID-19. Click here to view the website. This website will be updated daily and is accessible from work and home on your mobile or desktop devices. THIS SHOULD BE YOUR SOURCE OF TRUTH FOR INFORMATION.