PHC News + COVID-19 Update: March 23, 2021
“While we are immunizing more people every day, and in parallel slowly turning the dial on the restrictions we have in place, we must remember the risk for all of us remains high, particularly with indoor activities – whether for work or social reasons.”
Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, and Adrian Dix, Minister of Health
- For Tuesday, March 23: 682 new cases, including 15 epi-linked cases,were announced for a total of 93,253 cases in British Columbia.
- New cases by health authority region:
- Northern Health – 23
- Interior Health – 76
- Island Health – 19
- Fraser Health – 333
- Vancouver Coastal – 229
- Two people who reside outside of Canada
- 314 individuals are currently hospitalized with COVID-19
- 83 of whom are in intensive care.
- There have been 144 new confirmed COVID-19 cases that are variants of concern in our province, for a total of 1,510 cases.
- To date, 557,508 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered in B.C., 87,168 of which are second doses. Immunization data is available on the COVID-19 dashboard at: www.bccdc.ca
- Starting today, letters will be sent to people 16 and older who are clinically extremely vulnerable to severe illness from COVID-19 to let them know they are eligible to receive an earlier vaccine through the age-based immunization program. See more on this below.
- Read Tuesday's joint statement on BC's COVID-19 response.
Please note: Numbers are updated on weekdays at 5 p.m.
|New Cases||Today's Total Cases||Cumulative Total|
|BC||Total||716||5,573||93,969 (86,857 recovered)|
(within the last 24 hours)
|*patients that are currently being cared for as COVID-positive|
REMINDER: Please direct all media inquiries to Providence’s Communications & Public Relations team.
Ann Gibbon, Senior Communication Specialist, Media Relations
After-hours media line: 778-999-0064
Questions or Concerns?
If you have questions or concerns, please email COVIDemail@example.com
Information and resource links:
PHC has a website for staff, medical staff, and researchers to address concerns, questions, protocols and guidelines around sick-leave and compensation-in-lieu for COVID-19. Click here to view the website. This website will be updated daily and is accessible from work and home on your mobile or desktop devices. THIS SHOULD BE YOUR SOURCE OF TRUTH FOR INFORMATION.
If you need to reach PHC’s Infection Prevention and Control Team (IPAC), please call local 69357. Do not contact individual IPAC team members.