PHC News + COVID-19 Update: May 18, 2021
“First doses are well underway and second doses will be coming soon. With a large, steady vaccine supply and an assurance that most people have their first dose, we will be able to look at how we may be able to accelerate delivery of second doses. We’re monitoring this closely and will have more to share in early June.”
Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, and Adrian Dix, Minister of Health
- For Tuesday, May 18: 411 new cases of COVID-19 were announced for a total of 140,075 cases in British Columbia.
- Active cases: 4,890
- Currently hospitalized: 360
- Intensive care: 127
- There have been 2 new COVID-19 related death, for a total of 1,650 deaths.
- New cases by health authority region:
- Northern Health – 8
- Interior Health – 69
- Island Health – 12
- Fraser Health – 285
- Vancouver Coastal – 37
- In B.C., 2,566,936 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines have been administered, 131,837 of which are second doses.
- Vaccine data is available on the COVID-19 dashboard at: www.bccdc.ca
- Read Tuesday's joint statement on BC's COVID-19 response.
Please note: Numbers are updated on weekdays at 5 p.m.
|New Cases||Today's Total Cases||Cumulative Total|
(within the last 24 hours)
|*patients that are currently being cared for as COVID-positive|
REMINDER: Please direct all media inquiries to Providence’s Communications & Public Affairs team.
Ann Gibbon, Senior Communication Specialist, Media Relations
After-hours media line: 778-999-0064
Questions or Concerns?
If you have questions or concerns, please email COVIDfirstname.lastname@example.org
Information and resource links:
PHC has a website for staff, medical staff, and researchers to address concerns, questions, protocols and guidelines around sick-leave and compensation-in-lieu for COVID-19. Click here to view the website. This website will be updated daily and is accessible from work and home on your mobile or desktop devices. THIS SHOULD BE YOUR SOURCE OF TRUTH FOR INFORMATION.
If you need to reach PHC’s Infection Prevention and Control Team (IPAC), please call local 69357. Do not contact individual IPAC team members.