PHC News + COVID Update: Mar 26, 2021
“While we are in a different stage of our COVID-19 pandemic than where we have been before – safe and effective vaccines that are increasing the protection for all of us – we are facing a sustained increase in clusters of new cases and outbreaks, including increasing cases caused by variants of concern. This is particularly concerning in the Lower Mainland areas.
“This requires all of us to continue to put our safety layers at the forefront of all we do.”
Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, and Adrian Dix, Minister of Health
For Friday, March 26: 908 new cases were announced for a total of 95,677 cases in British Columbia.
- Active cases: 6,245
- Currently hospitalized:294
- Intensive care: 81
- There have been three new COVID-19 related deaths, for a total of 1,449 deaths in British Columbia.
New cases by health authority region:
- Northern Health – 78
- Interior Health – 43
- Island Health – 55
- Fraser Health – 438
- Vancouver Coastal – 294
- Two people who reside outside of Canada
- There have been 140 new confirmed COVID-19 cases that are variants of concern in our province, for a total of 1,912 cases.
- To date, 637,856 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered in B.C., 87,233 of which are second doses. Immunization data is available on the COVID-19 dashboard at: www.bccdc.ca
- Vaccine appointment bookings are now open for people 74 or older and Indigenous peoples over 55.
- Starting on Monday, individuals who are clinically extreme vulnerability and have received a letter identifying them as such can also book their vaccine appointments.
- Read Friday's joint statement on BC's COVID-19 response.
- Find previous joint statements here.
Please note: Numbers are updated on weekdays at 5 p.m.
|New Cases||Today's Total Cases||Cumulative Total|
|BC||Total||2,518 (three days)||6,902||98,195 (89,722 recovered)|
(within the last 24 hours)
|*patients that are currently being cared for as COVID-positive|
REMINDER: Please direct all media inquiries to Providence’s Communications & Public Relations team.
Ann Gibbon, Senior Communication Specialist, Media Relations
After-hours media line: 778-999-0064
Questions or Concerns?
If you have questions or concerns, please email COVIDfirstname.lastname@example.org
Information and resource links:
PHC has a website for staff, medical staff, and researchers to address concerns, questions, protocols and guidelines around sick-leave and compensation-in-lieu for COVID-19. Click here to view the website. This website will be updated daily and is accessible from work and home on your mobile or desktop devices. THIS SHOULD BE YOUR SOURCE OF TRUTH FOR INFORMATION.
If you need to reach PHC’s Infection Prevention and Control Team (IPAC), please call local 69357. Do not contact individual IPAC team members.