PHC News + COVID Update: May 4, 2021
“With each person who is vaccinated, we are all safer. Let’s continue to do our part – to get vaccinated when it is our turn, use our layers of protection and follow all of the public health measures we have in place.”
Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, and Adrian Dix, Minister of Health
For Tuesday, May 4: 697 new cases were announced, for a total of 132,353 cases in British Columbia:
- Active cases: 7,161
- Currently hospitalized: 486
- Intensive care: 173
- There has been 1 new COVID-19 related death, for a total of 1,597 deaths in British Columbia.
New cases by health authority region:
- Northern Health – 14
- Interior Health – 65
- Island Health – 19
- Fraser Health – 456
- Vancouver Coastal – 142
- All pregnant people who are 16+ in B.C. are now safely eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. “We have reviewed the data here in B.C. and this shows pregnant people experience severe illness from COVID-19 at a rate that is similar to people who are in their 50s,” said Dr. Henry. “By prioritizing pregnant people today, we add another layer of protection for them, their babies and their communities.” Read more information, including how to book appointments.
- In B.C., 1,910,162 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca-SII COVID-19 vaccines have been administered, 92,244 of which are second doses.
- Vaccine data is available on the COVID-19 dashboard at: www.bccdc.ca
- Read Tuesday's joint statement on BC's COVID-19 response.
Please note: Numbers are updated on weekdays at 5 p.m.
|New Cases||Today's Total Cases||Cumulative Total|
|BC||Total||572||6,877||132,925 (124,252 recovered)|
(within the last 24 hours)
|*patients that are currently being cared for as COVID-positive|
REMINDER: Please direct all media inquiries to Providence’s Communications & Public Relations team.
Ann Gibbon, Senior Communication Specialist, Media Relations
After-hours media line: 778-999-0064
Questions or Concerns?
If you have questions or concerns, please email COVIDemail@example.com
Information and resource links:
PHC has a website for staff, medical staff, and researchers to address concerns, questions, protocols and guidelines around sick-leave and compensation-in-lieu for COVID-19. Click here to view the website. This website will be updated daily and is accessible from work and home on your mobile or desktop devices. THIS SHOULD BE YOUR SOURCE OF TRUTH FOR INFORMATION.
If you need to reach PHC’s Infection Prevention and Control Team (IPAC), please call local 69357. Do not contact individual IPAC team members.