Holy Family Hospital Residential
ATTENTION: COVID-19 outbreak at Holy Family Hospital Lonng Term Care Facility
- Caring in the Midst of the COVID-19 Pandemic
- The Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops Executive Committee has issued the following message, “They Still Bring Forth Fruit in Old Age: A Lesson on Caring in the Midst of the COVID-19 Pandemic.” Read the full message.
- Archbishop Sends Letter of Appreciation to all Holy Family Hospital Long Term Care Staff
- The Most Reverend J. Michael Miller, Archbishop, Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Vancouver, CSB, offers thanks to all Holy Family Hospital Long Term Care staff for their ongoing dedication as they serve the residents and families with commitment and compassion. Read the letter of appreciation.
Update as of August 30, 2020
- The COVID-19 outbreak at Holy Family Hospital Long Term Care (LTC) has been declared over by Vancouver Coastal Health, effective Sunday, August 30, 2020.
- This had been a very difficult, long and challenging situation for all Holy Family LTC staff, who have demonstrated heroic commitment in overcoming the outbreak since it was declared on June 9, 2020. During this period, we had a total of 53 residents and 35 staff who tested positive for COVID. Most devastatingly, the outbreak claimed the lives of 21 residents. Our hearts and prayers go to the families of those grieving for their loved ones.
- We express our deepest gratitude and salute the compassionate and exceptional efforts by everyone at Holy Family – staff, medical staff, contracted staff and redeployed staff.
On June 9, 2020, the Medical Health Officer declared a COVID-19 outbreak for the entire Holy Family Hospital campus. Click here to read the notification letter from the MHO that was sent to residents, patients, families, and staff on June 10, 2020.
- On June 29, the Medical Health Officer declared that the COVID-19 outbreak for the Holy Family Hospital Rehabilitation facility is now over. Please note, this is only for Rehabilitation and not Long Term Care. Click here for more details.
- Since June 9, when the COVID-19 outbreak for the entire Holy Family Hospital campus was declared, there have been zero cases of COVID-19 positive staff or patients in the Rehabilitation facility. The entire campus was declared as an outbreak status for precautionary measures.
There are two main programs, separated on two floors, at the Holy Family campus: a 126 long-term care facility, as well as a 65-bed inpatient rehabilitation unit. Thus far, there are no COVID-19 cases in rehab. At the Holy Family Hospital campus, the 65-bed Rehabilitation unit is located on a different floor than the 126-bed Long Term Care unit — both units have separate entrances and operation processes.
Holy Family Long Term Care Family Phone Line
We have created a Holy Family Long Term Care Family phone line at 604-322-2606.
- This line is monitored from 9am-5pm, seven days a week. If families leave a message, one of our social workers will return their call as soon as possible.
- As staff, we encourage you to communicate the importance of this line.
- For families requiring emotional support or needing assistance navigating the health care system, please advise them to contact the VCH LTC Family Support Line at 1-844-824-2219 or locally at 604-875-4953 (please note that the VCH LTC Family Support line cannot provide specific resident status reports).
Holy Family Hospital Staff and Medical Staff Town Halls
The COVID-19 Outbreak at Holy Family Hospital has been challenging. Here at Providence, we’re grateful, proud, and honoured to have a hardworking and compassionate team caring for our most vulnerable people during this time – our residents, patients and families. In addition to providing exceptional and compassionate care, you have had to stay up to date on changing guidelines, new protocols, and your own mental and physical wellbeing.
We organized two Virtual Town Halls on June 26 to give you the opportunity to hear about the work being doing to support you, our residents, patients and their family members. For those of you who missed it, the town halls are available on demand to watch at your convenience.
Rehab Staff/Medical Staff Town Hall:
Long Term Care Staff/Medical Staff Town Hall:
Frequently Asked Questions
Please refer to the following FAQs for answers to your questions about the outbreak at Holy Family Hospital:
- Holy Family Outbreak Staff Updates
- Infection Prevention and Control Updates
Providence has also proactively implemented the following:
- Communication: Residents, patients, families and staff have been notified.
- Staffing levels: Staffing levels are being maintained to provide resident care.
- Personal protective equipment: All staff will continue to wear appropriate PPE, as before, in order to protect residents, patients and staff at all times.
- Work limited to one location: Staff currently working in Holy Family Long Term Care will not work at any other facility during the outbreak.
- No visitor policy — only essential visitors: Visitors have been limited to only essential visitors.
- Restrictions to movement: Staff and resident movement in the facility has been restricted.
- Enhanced cleaning: We have increased cleaning frequency to high touch areas such as the side rails, tables and elevator buttons. This should reduce the risk of transmission of virus from objects.
- Inpatient rehabilitation continuing with social distancing: Inpatient rehab treatment continues with appropriate social distancing measures in place.
- Outpatient Rehabilitation Clinics utilizing virtual health: Outpatient rehab clinics are treating patients virtually and in person with precautions in place.
- No group activities and non-essential services: There are now also restrictions to group activities, and non-essential services.
- Symptom monitoring & testing: Twice a day screening of all staff and residents.
If you need to reach PHC’s Infection Prevention and Control Team (IPAC), please call local 69357. Do not contact individual IPAC team members.