St. Paul’s Hospital: 8A
Situation Update – October 4, 2020
Please be advised that VCH Public Health has declared an outbreak for 8A effective immediately, after a COVID-19 transmission was identified on the unit. 8A, therefore, is closed for new admissions and to visitors.
No other parts of St. Paul’s Hospital are impacted by the 8A outbreak designation and the hospital is open.
The 8A outbreak response is led by a Medical Health Officer (MHO) and Providence’s COVID-19 Outbreak Response team. The team is working with PHC’s Urban Health program to initiate the following immediate steps to ensure optimal quality and safe care:
- Enhanced surveillance, contact and droplet precautions are in place on 8A.
- 8A staff can only work on the unit (i.e. no other unit or site) until the outbreak is declared over. The same goes for environmental services staff assigned to the unit.
- All on-duty 8A staff will be tested on the unit during their shifts. All patients on the unit will also be tested.
- All 8A staff are reminded to stay home and get assessed/tested if they are feeling sick or are symptomatic. Asymptomatic staff will be tested when they next work a shift on 8A.
- There are no visitors permitted except for compassionate reasons after review with the nursing and medical team (including Public Health).
- All staff are reminded to strictly follow all PPE requirements. A reminder that all PPE guidelines and information can be found here on Providence’s COVID-19 site.
- A screener will be posted outside the unit and everyone will be screened prior to entering the unit.
- Patients can be discharged from the unit as per normal procedures; messages for wearing masks, hand hygiene and physical distancing should be reinforced.
- Patients leaving against medical advice (AMA) are to be documented, with the details to be provided to the MHO.
The outbreak response team will be meeting daily until the outbreak is declared over. We will provide you with updated information daily. Thank you for continuing to do your part in providing exceptional, compassionate and safe care during these pandemic times. Should you have any questions, please ask your leader/manager.
If you need to reach PHC’s Infection Prevention and Control Team (IPAC), please call local 69357. Do not contact individual IPAC team members.