COVID-19 Order Entry in Cerner
April 1, 2020
Since February, COVID-19 virus PCR testing at St. Paul’s Hospital has been ordered in Cerner through the order “Influenza A/B and RSV PHC NAT” as no code existed for this virus previously. As a result, SPH Virology has been manually adding COVID-19 virus PCR to all “Influenza A/B and RSV PHC NAT” orders.
Recently, however, a new order code has been introduced [“COVID-19 Virus (2019nCoV) NAT)”] on Cerner to specifically order COVID-19. This new order enables clinicians to order COVID-19 virus PCR from different clinical specimens (NP swab, BAL, sputum), which could not previously be done on Cerner.
As of April 6, 2020, COVID-19 virus PCR will not be automatically added to “Influenza A/B and RSV PHC NAT”. If clinicians want both COVID-19 virus and influenza A/B PCR, both orders will need to be entered (note: an order entry alert will appear when ordering “Influenza A/B and RSV PHC NAT”).
Although there are two orders entered, only 1 label will be printed meaning only 1 NP swab (or other respiratory specimen) will be needed to process both testing requests.
Please contact the Medical Microbiologist on-call through switchboard if you have questions.
- Printable: Updated COVID-19 Order Entry in Cerner
- Physician Updates
- PPE, Testing & IPAC
- Changes to medical services for COVID
- Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) Protocol for Surgical Procedures
- Dedicated Psychiatry Unit for PUI COVID+ Patients (PASU)
- GMPC Consultation Service
- COVID-19 Related Scenarios in Long Term Care
- Clinical Decisions Pathway COVID-19 in Long Term Care Residents
- Signatures on Consent Forms
- Updated COVID-19 Order Entry in Cerner
- Triage and Assessment
- Mental Health & Wellness Support for Physicians
- Resources for Medical Staff
- Virtual Health
If you need to reach PHC’s Infection Prevention and Control Team (IPAC), please call local 69357. Do not contact individual IPAC team members.